Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Mini-Lessons for Contemplative Practice, Lesson Two

Lesson Two

The Noble Eightfold Path as taught by the Buddha:

1. Right View
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

The first two are Right Wisdom, the next three are Right Mindfulness, and the last three are Right Concentration, so in some traditions, these are also known as the Three Higher Trainings.
In my practice, I work towards practicing awareness AND compassion in each of these eight arenas which I interpret thusly:

1. Compassionate lens for viewing the world
2. Compassionate and aware of my intentions in all things
3. Aware of the intentions and effects of my internal and external speech, effort to be compassionate in my internal and external speech.
4. Aware of the intentions behind and the effects of my actions, compassionate in my actions.
5. Practicing both awareness and compassion in my work.
6. Putting dedication and effort into practice. Remembering to be compassionate with myself.
7. Practicing mindfulness with dedication and compassion.
8. Remembering that whatever I put my concentration towards, that is what I am growing. The brain rewires itself toward whatever it attends to. Am I spending my days afraid and angry? The brain will grow stronger in those areas. Am I spending my days practicing peace and compassion? I will get better at those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment