Saturday, March 12, 2016

Mini-Lessons on Contemplative Practice, Lovingkindness 5 of 7

Today, the phrases are said for all beings. This is a backdoor into saying them for yourself and for a difficult person, if you find those categories to be difficult, because, needless to say, all beings does include you and that difficult person.

The phrases are your own, or these phrases again:

May all beings be safe and protected.
May all beings be peaceful.
May all beings live with kindness and with ease.

As with all of the work this week, we make space for all beings in our heart-mind, and we hold all beings and the words and the sentiments the words point to in our heart-mind as we practice. We practice for five minutes or for an hour or before we get out of bed in the morning and before we fall asleep at night.

These phrases hold immense power to affect your outlook during peaceful times and during more difficult moments. You can condition yourself to say them almost instinctively when you experience suffering or whenever you witness another being experiencing suffering. The words will soften your heart, and you will find yourself moving with more peace and ease through the world. In this way, one being at a time, we are manifesting the promise of the phrases.

I use these phrases whenever I go to the cancer hospital for my checkups. I would not be able to be strong in that place without these phrases. I offer these phrases up for myself and everyone I encounter in that place whenever I find myself there. I offer the phrases whenever I am scared or alone or tired or overwhelmed. I offer the phrases whenever there is suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment